Prepping the base image These steps are nothing ground breaking, but allow me to get bring out the natural colours and up the contrast of the original cap.
1. Resize Cap (I made mine 500px large) 2. Create curves layer, set to AUTO (this evens out the contrast and colouring) 3. Duplicate background layer, set to screen 4. Duplicate screen layer, set to soft light 5. Create Vibrance layer, set vibrance to + 50 (this will pump up the colours a little) 6. The cap a little dark, so create a curves layer and 7. Create another Vibrance layer, set vibrance to +30 8. Set forground colour to black, create gradient layer (starting at the bottom) and set to soft light, 50% opacity. (I like adding a simple black gradient, I find it adds some depth to the cap) 9. Set forground colour to white, create gradient layer (starting at the top) and set to soft light, 15% opacity. (I like adding a simple black gradient, I find it adds some depth to the cap). Merge all your layers.
Colours! 10. This image is really too yellow and I want to give it a pinky-soft-vintage-somewhat girly look. Create a #f8d1e4 color fill layer and set to soft light.
11. Moar pink is needed! And we need to fix the contrast a little. Create a #c18ea7 colour fill layer, set to soft light (with soft light colour layers, if you pick a light tone, it will colour and brighten your cap, of you pick a dark tone it will colour and darken it - once I have picked a colour, I like playing around with the tones to achieve a contrast & colour I like best).
12. To make the pinks pop out and add some overall pink to the other areas, create a channel mixer layer. Red, Red +104
13. To up the contrast, create a Levels layer, RGB 9 1,00 255
14. To slightly tone down the yellows, create a colour balance layer, blue +10
15. To make the icon more monochromatic, create a #f8d1e4 color fill layer, set to colour, 30% opacity
16. To balance out some contrast, create a levels layer, RGB 28 1,00 255
Merge, sharpen, resize & crop!
1. Sharpen, resize to 500px wide
2. Create Auto curves layer to even out contrast & colour
3. Duplicate base layer, drag to top, set to screen
4. Duplicate screen layer, set to soft light, 80% opacity
5. Create vibrance layer, vibrance +60
6. Create a curves layer to brighten things up
7. Set foreground colour to black, create a simple gradient (starting from the bottom), set to soft light, 50% opacity (this will add some contrast to the bottom of the cap)
8. Merge layer, duplicate base. Go to Filter > Noise > Reduce Noise (strength 8, preserve details 7, colour noise 28%, sharpen details 5). Lower opacity to 45%.
9. Create gradient map layer, set to soft light
10. Create a #344b19 colour fill layer, set to soft light
11. Create a #3e4017 colour fill layer, set to colour, 10% opacity
12. Create a #7a6637 colour fill layer, set to soft light
13. Texture: I used this texture by slayground, set to screen. Resize & crop
* As always, this is meant to be a guide, please do not copy exactly! :) My Ask The Maker's thread is here if you would like to ask me anything :D